Smith’s Cove Old Temperance Hall Museum located in the Fundy Shore and Annapolis Valley region (Route 1, off Highway 101, Exit 24 or 25). Situated in the “Old Meeting House” (c 1834), the Old Temperance Hall Museum displays historic artifacts of the community of Smith’s Cove, as well as genealogical records of residents. The museum features Mi’kmaq displays, household exhibits of the 19th and 20th centuries, as well as old photos of buildings, resorts and citizens. Genealogical records include scrapbooks and cemetery inscriptions. There are special exhibits each year as well as a summer long hand-hooked rug show.
Formed in 1972, the Smith’s Cove Historical Society is responsible for preserving the architecture and heritage of both the Old Temperance Hall Meeting House (1835) and just down the road the old Methodist/United Church (1885).
The Objectives of the Society are:
- To collect and preserve articles of historical interest in Smith’s Cove and area
- To interest the general public in the preservation of articles and buildings, sites and areas of historical significance.
- To maintain the buildings and exhibits the Historical Society operates the Smith’s Cove Historical Museum which houses many artifacts, antiques and special exhibits as well as genealogical
- records of area residents.
Board of Directors
Donalda MacBeath – President
Hannah Shields – Vice President
Barbara MacBeath – Treasurer
Christy Ungurain – Secretary
Anna Hawkins- Director
Hannah Shields- Director
Ted Leighton- Director
Sandy Rudolph- Director
Constance MacArthur- Director
Doreen Leighton- Director